Team Dickson Waddilove 49er Ireland
Robert Dickson and Sean Waddilove, both members of DCU Surf ‘n’ Sail Club are fundraising for the 2017 / 2018 season to take part in an important Olympic qualifying regatta, the World Championships taking place in Aarhus, Denmark. Qualifying and sailing in the Olympic Games in Tokyo 2020 is their dream, sailing in the 49er Olympic class for Team Ireland.
DCU Sailing Club are hosting a 24hr sail fundraiser in Broadmeadows. All club members, young and old are very welcome to come down for a few interesting talks and to see what an Olympic campaign is like and learn about different types of racing. What a great learning experience for the kids and it will also be interesting for any adults looking to learn a few things and win some prizes in the our raffle. Check out their 24 Hour Sail FB Event Page and let them know you’ll be there to support them.
FRIDAY 29 SEPTEMBER
- 17:00 Boat Launch and there will be a small introduction talk on the goals for the event and the activities taking place over the following 24hrs
- 17:30 Once the intro talk is over and everyone is ready Colm Roche will talk on team racing in the upstairs room in Broadmeadows, followed by a Q&A. During this talk you’ll also have the opportunity to see DCUs 1st team out training.
- 19:00 49er rigging session by Olympic hopefuls Robert Dickson and Sean Waddilove. This rigging session hopes to highlight the high performance boat. Again once after the demonstration the boys will open the floor to questions.
- 20:00 From 8pm there will be Buffet Supper in St. James Terrace, Just €20 a head. Pre-booking essential CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS. We will have some live streaming of the sailing taking place. Even if you don’t wish to take part in the dining we would like to invite everyone to head down and enjoy the evening as the Broadmeadows Clubhouse and surrounding area will be closed to non-sailors / public from 10pm-9am on Saturday morning.
SATURDAY 30 SEPTEMBER
- 10:00 TEAM RACING
Kicking off the next day our team will be training until 11:30am by doing a mini competition!
The aim of the Saturday is to get the kids involved from local clubs, so how do you get involved?
1. Create a team of 3 (if you can’t get a 3 together, we will do our best to allocate)
2. You will be paired with 3 sailors from DCU
3. The course will be shown during the talk by Colm on Friday and once again during briefing on Saturday morning.
4. The winners will receive a free spin out on the 49er with Rob and Sean!
- 12:00 Weather permitting Rob and Sean will be taking people out for quick spins on the boat (for a small donation)
- 15:00 Usual club race with some of the DCU guys taking part in the race. They somehow think that they will show MYC sailors what real races are made of!! Wait until they see how things work on the Broadmeadow!
- 17:00 Guard of honour for the 24 hour sailors mounted by MYC junior fleets
- Finishing up we will have our raffle. Tickets are available until then with a line costing €5.
What’s to win? We will have
a meal for 2 in the Grand Hotel Malahide,
a day coaching session with Robert and Sean,
some of DCU surf’n’sail’s club merchandise:- Great Hats, T-shirts and Hoodies,
with lots of more prizes to be announced.
As this is a fundraiser event their aim is to raise €5,000 to help kit the lads out for their qualifying campaign, any donation would be greatly appreciated!