With over 120 sailors on 23 boats in three classes, the 2017 MYC Cruiser Regatta, generously sponsored by SPAR (on the Green), was a great success both on and off the water.
Two races back-to-back in moderate south-westerly and southerly winds on courses set by Race Officer Dermot Cronin on the flagship ‘Pyxis’ saw the results almost evenly shared between MYC and Howth entries.
In Class 2, which featured five J80s from Howth, Viking (HYC) took the IRC honours while Smokehaze, owned by new MYC member Luke Fegan, won on the Performance Handicap.
Class 3 IRC was won by the Howth J24 ‘Kilcullen’ ahead of clubmate ‘Starlet’ and on Performance Handicap, it was an MYC 1-2-3, with Brian Stewart’s ‘Mon Reve’ taking first prize ahead of ‘Kahera’ (Russell Camier) and Shenanigans (Lee Douglas/Aidan Keane).
MYC’s David Greene in ‘Calypso’ reaped the benefit of being one of only two boats (both from MYC) in the White Sail division to sail the correct Olympic course in the first race and so did enough in the second race to head the 6-boat fleet overall. Unfortunately Swarra, the other boat sailing the correct course, retired after the first race.
To see a the full set of results CLICK HERE
Once ashore, competitors and friends enjoyed a BBQ and listening to some of the sounds from the neighbouring Tennis Club’s Festival Concert!
Thanks are due to:
- Cruiser Racing Secretary, Brian Stewart for co-ordinating the event including all personel, publicity and prizes
- Vice-Commodore Matt Ryan for co-ordinating ribs and assistance from local scouts and Upper Estuary sailors
- Eddie, John and Seamus, owners of ‘Pyxis’ for the use of their boat as flagship
- Race Officer Dermot Cronin and his team Deirdre, John and Des
- The RIB crews, Brian, Ciaran, Emer, Emily, Graham, Matthew, Matt and Peter for mark-laying duties and Andrew and Aisling on in-shore duties
- Margaret Fay for event photography
- Graham Daniels and Dorothy Conaghan for shore management
- Cruiser Class captain Ciaran O’Reilly for producing the results (having collaborated previously with Brian McDowell on coordinating the HYC / MYC performance handicaps)
and last, not certainly not least, to SPAR for sponsoring the prizes and supplying excellent lunch packs for the flagship and RIBs.